Worth the Drive Feb 2013 South Bayview



Worth the Drive - Feb 2013 South Bayview Ave. Toronto

Hot buttery croissants and strong pressed Americano's still woo me to my old stomping grounds of South Bayview Ave. in Toronto. No matter the weather, there is always a great shop to happen upon,  and a friendly smile to share and so many amazing places to have breakfast, lunch or dinner. 
On this strip of Bayview, you can park your car at one end of the street in the morning and enjoy a Saturday or Sunday strolling, window shopping and taking advantage of the many inspirations behind the glass in this collection of really great establishments.

Here are a few of my faves and why I love them!


Rahier Patisserie - 1586 Bayview Avenue Toronto ON M4G 3B7   Tel  416 482 0917
What I love there? 1. Fresh Croissants that are crispy and firm on the outside, slightly sweet (buttery) and very soft and delicious in the middle (buttery). 2. Warm Citrus Brioche, get there early!! Such a treat. Usually the bag is empty before we hit the first side street! 3. Brie Sandwiches (the best sandwiches on Bayview) on fresh baked Baguette. Enjoy one with a hot pressed Americano at Lunch and the rest of your day will be happy! 
Whatever buttery piece of heaven you fall in love with at Rahier, I am sure it will be well worth the drive!
Fact: When my oldest son was 3 (now 12) and we had moved from the neighbourhood, he really missed his routine of walking up Bayview to get a hot croissant in the morning. Feeling bad for his loss, we walked to a new store and I bought him a "croissant" at the bakery counter. Having only touched it to his lips as I watched intensely,  he threw his head back in the stroller, started to cry and wailed..." this is not a croissant!!". 


Write Impressions
- 1515 Bayview Avenue Toronto ON M4G 3B5 Tel 416 322 5834
What do I love there? I love getting inspired for the season with the whimsical decor items, gorgeous presentation, single sheet wrapping paper that is pretty enough to frame, hand made note cards and the amazing service.


Chai on Bayview - 1575 Bayview Avenue Toronto ON Tel 416 932 0294What do I love there? 1. Soba Noodles (Buckwheat), I crave these so often that I really should learn to make something similar, but I hesitate to try because these are perfection. They are so delicious, visually appealing and very satisfying. 2. Green Beans with Black Bean Sauce, the best green beans ever. 3. The staff, I think they are all family and Rainbow is always so happy and welcoming. You really must go there!


Duffs Famous Wings - 1604 Bayview Avenue Toronto ON M4G 3B7    Tel 416 544 0100
What do I love there? What else...the wings!!! I like mine "Medium" (which is HOT!), if you order yours Hot, your tongue may just fall off! Make sure you read the heat warnings on the menu before ordering. You wont want to ruin the experience of the delicious flavour. I like mine served with extra veggies and dill dip instead of fries, although the fries are really good! Relaxed atmosphere and fast friendly service, it's no wonder that the company has been in business since 1969!!


Hollywood Gelato - 1640 Bayview Avenue Toronto ON   Tel 416 544 9829
What do I love there? 1. Sicilian Pistachio Gelato (Italian word for Ice Cream) made with the finest ingredients, so creamy and incredibly delicious. 2. Lemon or Pear Sorbet, depending on the season, I only ever feel like Pear in the spring. All of the Sorbets are fat free, dairy free, cholesterol and lactose free. But not taste free!!!! This Sorbet is like a flavour explosion in your mouth. 
Fact: During the Blackout of 2001, the street came together as a community. While their freezers were off and all their inventory melting, Hollywood Gelato opened their doors and gave away free frozen treats to everyone who happened by! I've been a loyal customer ever since.


The Elegant Garage Sale - 1588 Bayview Avenue Toronto ON    Tel 416 322 9744 
What do I love there? 1. No matter what I am in the mood for or think that I need, I can always find something at Elegant Garage Sale. I don't always buy what I find, sometimes it just brings back a memory or two and often inspires me to do something else. 2. Any season, rain or shine you can go "garage saling" if you are inclined. Always new finds and things to make you laugh. 3. The sales people are really helpful and knowledgeable about items that you may have questions about buying or selling at the store. It's worth a drive just to check it out when you are enjoying a day on South Bayview Ave. You won't miss it because the store front is Hot Pink! 


Fact: Average South Bayview (Leaside) housing prices are $1.1 Million. This price range in not attainable for most people, but there are many inspired affordable neighbourhoods that offer a similar lifestyle. Keep reading my Blog for more great areas that are Worth The Drive!


Remember, if you or someone you know is thinking about
Buying or Selling Real Estate give me a call, I love referrals and always welcome the chance to find the next inspired home!
905-619-9500 Durham    416-798-7278 Toronto
Web: www.lauramcbride.ca                                                                                   

                                                                                  

It's not just where you live, 
It's how you live.

Laura McBride has been a Realtor with Sutton Group - Heritage Realty Inc., Brokerage since 2005. 
*Independently owned and operated. 


**Not intended to solicit those currently under contract with a Brokerage.




Comments

Popular Posts